* Create a simple menu. Since we’re all coming straight from work I didn’t want to be in the kitchen forever to cook a meal or have them waiting too long. I love Italian cuisine! It can be simple, filling, but most importantly fast and delicious Make sure your dinner is partially premade and partially homemade. So I purchased lobster ravioli from Trader Joe’s. I’m making semi-homemade tomato sauce and tomato Feta soup. I purchased a baguette and salmon to make a simple smoked salmon Crostini.
* Ask your guests to bring wine or dessert. Not only is it going to save you time from having to get everything, it’s going to save you money. Don’t worry it’s not déclassé. Your friends truly won’t mind. Besides, you’re cooking them a lovely meal and entertaining them.
* Create a beautiful tablescape. Don’t get caught up in expensive red roses. Get flowers in soft hues with a whimsical touch from your local grocery store or a street market vendor. Seriously, everyone is selling flowers today…even the gas stations! I have classic white dinner plates and actually found my gold trim dessert plates at Goodwill! My vases were a gift, but if you don’t have any go to the Dollar Store and quickly grab one.
* Create a color scheme and stick to it. My color scheme is white, gold, and pink. Make it easy on yourself! Get colored napkins. White is seriously your best friend for dinnerware.
* Create a balance playlist. Your playlist should be whatever you and your guests enjoy listening to. Mix up the genres. I’m making my playlist on the metro ride into work. I’m mixing the genres with an upbeat theme of love and friendship.
Just because you procrastinated, that doesn’t mean this should be stressful! Make it simple and fun! If you feel like you’re becoming overwhelmed, order an amazing pizza and eat it with candles lit, music flowing, and have a glass of wine. I, personally, just love to entertain and set the atmosphere so I do extra work that my friends don’t necessarily care about but they appreciate it which makes me love doing it more. Enjoy Valentine’s Day whether you’re single or you have a significant other!